Thursday 22 September 2011

My objectives for 3rd year....

Improve software skills in all areas.

Web design - continuous development.

Become more confident about designing for print - and produce some work which exhibits this ability.

Typography software - teach myself how to use this and set myself a project where I can spend some time on this.

More branding and logo design - from putting together my website this Summer I have noticed areas in my portfolio that I am lacking. Branding and logo design is something that I plan to go into and I actually have little evidence of this.

3D typography - I experimented with this briefly in 2nd year as part of a freelance project, but I would like to set myself a brief which involves me embracing this.

Continue to explore hand rendered/image based typography - I have become more and more interested in this and want to continue this exploration.

Image driven design/illustration

Develop my conceptual abilities and aim BIG - I feel that I often think as radically as I could. I dismiss ideas before they even develop properly because I worry about how I will execute them, but I think I need to become more aware of my abilities and realize what my potential is.

Go back to basics - I want to continue my engagement with more traditional processes such as screen printing. I want to try and design more away from the computer, old school style. 20 years ago I probably wouldn't have had a computer and incredible design was being produced. I vow to only use my computer in the instance of formatting, time saving and to improve quality.

Spend more time researching past as well as contemporary design - I have spent a lot of time doing this this summer and as a result I feel much more in touch with what's going on in the design world, what the competition is and had a lot of ideas for my own practice.

Consider areas of interest - one of my main weaknesses last year in my opinion was my chosen subject matter. I failed to think of areas of interest when I needed to. This Summer I have recorded all my ideas in a little notebook which I can now apply to future work.

Get a placement for Christmas - I feel really disappointed with the outcome of my summer placement (or lack of) and I am already looking at other designers to contact more locally.

Improve visual documentation - I feel that my photography and display abilities let me down and dont't do my work justice.




No comments:

Post a Comment